3 Reasons We Love OrangeTheory and Other HIIT Trends
When it comes to health and fitness we are happy when someone makes the choice to get off the couch and make some positive changes in their lives. That happiness isn’t dependent on them signing up with us. We believe that people will seek us out when they are ready for serious change. We have a constant influx of clients who are current members at OTF, Spin and other HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) gyms that are ready for something more. They are ready for what is next and we are what is next.
We may be unique in the sense that we as a business have an abundance mindset. The 5 mile radius of opportunity is far too big to fight over the same clients. We apply the same thinking to franchises like Orangetheory Fitness and other HIIT programs which we see growing in popularity across North America. These gyms and systems are fantastic for CrossFit, and here are three reasons why we love them:
- They are introducing lots of people to high-intensity interval training. Their marketing machine is effective at getting more people off of the couch and through their doors because they have made HIIT trendy, sexy and non-threatening. The “jump” to CrossFit (which we know isn’t a jump at all, but bear with me here) looks a lot more manageable after an athlete has some experience with another methodology first.
- These gyms have introduced a higher price point to the market at about $30/class. CrossFit used to boast the most expensive price tag in the group fitness category, but now, millions of people have been conditioned to see the value in paying $150-$250/month to pursue their fitness goals.
- There is a built-in limitation and proverbial ceiling to their fitness precisely because they are replicable: athletes often reach a plateau with their results or experience monotony and boredom. We often hear how well P90x and Insanity work the first time, but on the second or third time through the tapes and videos, people are less inclined to push themselves as hard because they know what’s coming. The mental stimulation and novelty have worn off, leaving them looking for the next fitness movement to try. Or wondering why they are no longer making gains or body changes.
There is no need to look at Orangetheory, HIIT Style Gyms, or even P90X as competition at all. Instead, they’re excellent starting points for all of those 500,000 couch-bound potential CrossFitters within our five-mile radius. You can only run on a treadmill so many times, row 500m so many times, and do so many burpees before you begin to ask yourself if this is the rest of your fitness life. We are the next logical step. We are the “What’s next”!
CrossFit is and has always been very grass-roots. No high-budget marketing campaigns, fancy equipment, saunas or jacuzzis. What we do have are good people who provide a platform for their clients to achieve some amazing results through physical preparedness and functional fitness. People who are ready to find us will do so at the right time; and we will be ready as their final fitness destination.
Enter Mountain Strength.
Mountain Strength has a no sweat intro to first identify what the client’s goal is, and then prescribes the best program for the client. No round pegs in square holes… just consulting with our clients and helping them choose the best path of the many we have to offer.
- CrossFit Classes – Classic “CrossFit” with technical movements (Olympic Lifts & Gymnastics) and strength to improve performance
- Express Bootcamp – Circuit style CrossFit workouts (no technical Olympic Lifts) and Core work to improve body composition
- Private Training and Individual Design – which is 1:1 personal training with customized workouts specific to a client’s goals
- Hybrid – a combination of group classes and personal training to help a client meet their goals and train in an environment they are comfortable in.
- Obstacle Course Racing – CrossFit style training geared towards preparing an athlete to run a Spartan Race or Tough Mudder
- Mountain Strength Nutrition – We have partnered with Amy Mariani and Fit and Fabulous to create custom meal plans and provide accountability and support via 1:1 monthly or bi-monthly consults.
There is no one path for everyone. Each individual client has different needs and different goals.
If you are a member of an Orangetheory or one of the gyms above and looking for the “What’s next”, it may be time we sit down, talk about your specific goals and help you continue on your health and fitness journey, as your fitness and nutrition partner for life.